Thursday, August 27, 2026

The end of history?


Yellow daffodils have been found now growing untended in the woods by my son. Did someone actually plant them there? Yes, because daffodils come from bulbs, not seeds. 

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze. William Wordsworth

 Flowers are still blooming now in late summer, the birds are all still chirping, and the bees are just buzzing around, flitting from one lovely flower to the next. 


The last post was a bit too long, so I need to make shorter posts from now on.

 
 My son has just sent a photo taken a few years ago, as I waited there at the Martinsburg train station to go back to Washington, DC. 

And here's another photo of me that my son has just sent, back at the old Coolfont lodge before it burned down about 2 years ago. Fortunately. no one was killed or injured in that terrible fire, due, as far as we know, to faulty wiring,. 

             Here now is my son again at the front desk of the rebuilt, recently reopened Coolfont lodge. 
                    I'm not sure why son has sent these photos, but here they are. 
=============================================================

The online comment below echoes what I have been saying all along. The US needs to stop deporting people ASAP and to offer more support to parents, as is now being done in Scandinavia. 

Without immigration, the United States population would shrink. We are replacing ourselves at 1.6 births per woman, far below replacement. This has been going on for a while now, and we are joining European nations with the same issue. All efforts to have resident populations to at least replace themselves have failed, not only in Europe, but in Japan and South Korea. This means aging populations, not enough people to support the older generations, and economic collapse.


A online group has invited me to join a trip to Morocco, where I have visited before and really enjoyed. But since my passport has expired, I may just stay home now, as travel is not so easy for me any more at age 88. I'll just live with fond memories of my visits to 40 countries around the world, often goig there on human rights missions. Here below is the Moroccan desert, 



Linda, a former associate with a publication called OT Week, which I edited more than 20 years ago, has now found another of our former colleagues, Julie.  

Hi Linda,
Oh my gosh! What a treat to see your name in my inbox. I am doing well. I have lived in Colorado for 29 years and love it. I worked as a nurse-midwife for 23 years and started teaching full-time in August of 2020. I love my work. My husband and I travel as much as we can. He is planning to retire at the end of the year, and we'll see how that goes. I have such great memories of my time at OT Week. It felt like we were a family! I remember Barbara's house on Capitol Hill. I suspect for her that West Virginia is a little less hectic! Be well, Linda and thank you so much for reaching out!  
Best from Julie [now living and working as a nurse practitioner and professor of nursing in Denver.]

Here's what I told Julie:
Hi Julie, Linda is reminding us all of old times. I am now age 88 and recently retired myself from my most recent job as a Spanish medical interpreter in DC (I am bilingual). I have now moved here to West Virginia, where I live with my son who works at a local hotel. After living more than 50 years in DC, I really miss my old Capitol Hill neighborhood. 
After OT Week, I spent 3 1/2 years as a health volunteer with the Peace Corps in Honduras and have had health projects there ever since. I have also volunteered in Cuba and have written 2 books. But now my passport has expired and at age 88, I am not sure about ever going abroad again. Although I have no formal medical training, as a Peace Corps health volunteer and also in Cuba, I've done my share of assisting local women with childbirth. It helped that I had been through it myself. I also once lived in Colorado (Denver) as a child. You can always check in with my blog, honduraspeacecorps2.blogspot.com
Abrazos, Barbara


====================================================

Even more folks are now being rounded up and deported by President Donald Trump. It's almost like the Gestapo, though they are not being sent to the gas chamber, only to places they've never heard of and will have trouble ever leaving. Why are these folks being treated now like criminals? How does that fulfill the promises of our own Lady Liberty? What about the tradition of our nation as the land of opportunity and the "land of the free?" Donald Trump has turned all that on its head. Even some of his supporters think he is going too far. We need all those folks to stay right here! 


=======================================================================

                                Liberia now waits for US deportees to arrive.


Here again are some African Americans who had been sent to Liberia many years ago. 
The members of the Liberian senate of 1893, mostly made up of freed African American slaves, posing together for a group portrait. - Library of Congress/Corbis/VCG/Getty Images

Not only are people we need to have right here being deported, but Americans are having fewer children. This is happening because they know how to stop having babies while still enjoying the pleasures of sex. They may have decided to just delay parenthood, but then are finding that they have waited too long. Mother Nature is being thwarted in assuring the continuance of the human race. And so our species may eventually vanish as if we had never even existed. Animals will still roam the earth, but no more human beings. 

===========================================================
Here's an urgent action now from Amnesty International

Amnesty International: Kyrgyzstan: • On 25 August 2026, the trial of investigative journalist Makhabat Tazhibekkyzy’s criminal case has begun. 

On 23 March 2026, the Supreme Court of Kyrgyzstan overturned Makhabat’s previous sentence of six years in prison and sent the case back for review. Makhabat was released from prison under a travel ban but will be retried. 

=============================================================

An asylum seeker and her daughter in Minneapolis look out a window, no longer daring to go outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment