Sunday, September 27, 2026

Whew!

If readers are still with me, I've recently been having a very hard time here.  The ancient cave dwellers began writing first on cave walls, then folks wrote on papyrus after that, next people actually wrote on paper then binding the pages into books still with us today, all those writers have left messages we can still read today.  But writing online now on a computer connected to the internet proves to be a very uncertain task. I'm not sure just what to do about it now.  

Here are the articles I've found interesting lately
 
Trump started this war all on his own, so this now is his war, meaning that he alone will decide when and how to end it.  Iran has little to say in the matter.


Here below is a recent message from a former Cuban prisoner who was released 42 years ago, a release which I had facilitated and witnessed back then. He is a man whose memoirs and even poetry I'd then later translated into English completely pro-bono, without ever mentioning my own name there as translator. (No translator is even mentioned.)

In English, we always want to be concise and direct. In Spanish, we would usually not say something so very bluntly, rather would embellish it a bit.  I don't know how Google handles such nuances in its online translations.  Every language has its own particular style, reflecting the cultural practices associated with it.

Sat, Sep 26, 3:22 PM (19 hours ago)
    
to me
Querida Barbara: De acuerdo a lo que yo recuerdo, la excarcelación y salida de parte de los presos que habían extinguido previamente la totalidad de sus sanciones, fue debido a una gestión, en 1984, del reverendo Jesse Jackson.  Nada tuvo que ver, que yo sepa, ni en eso ni en el traslado a USA del grupo de los excarcelados, la organización Hermanos al Rescate.     
.... Un abrazo. 
Ernesto Diaz
(Dear Barbara: As I recall, the release and departure of the prisoners who had already fully served their sentences came about thanks to the efforts of the Reverend Jesse Jackson in 1984. To the best of my knowledge, the organization Brothers to the Rescue played no role in that matter, nor in the transfer of the released group to the USA. .... Warm regards. Ernesto Diaz )

           Yes, I was right there, right then.  Of course, I still remember Ernesto and he still remembers me.

No comments:

Post a Comment